Vallery Ford....Sunrush Water....Union Stables....AM 660....

Wellston Broadway east 1911

The First National Bank of Wellston $5.00 bank note

T. J. Morgan House

photo by Tyrone Hemry 22 Nov 2010 

 T. J. Morgan
"T. J. Morgan, of this review, was reared at his parental home, acquired his education in the public schools and throughout his business career has been identified with the coal-mining interests of this state. In 1876 he went to Carbondade, Athens county, where he remained as a representative of the coal industry until 1884, when he came to Wellston to assume the management of the business of the Wellston and Milton Coal companies,—two of the largest in Jackson county. Situated in the midst of the most noted and richest coal fields of Ohio, and operating what is known as the Wellston shaft, they produce from one hundred and twenty-five to one hundred and fifty carloads of the Jackson Hill coal daily. This extensive business is all under the superintendency of Mr. Morgan, whose splendid executive ability is here manifest in the successful conduct of these mines. He has keen foresight, sound business sagacity, great energy, and as a manager is able by his fair treatment of his employers to secure their best services, as they realize that their own interests will thereby be promoted. His methods are above question and he is regarded as a man of the utmost reliability and trustworthiness. He is a worthy exemplar of the Masonic fraternity, and in social, business and political circles is widely and favorably known." from History of Republican Party in Ohio Vol. 2 "T. J. Morgan--Prominent Coal Operator and Capitalist Dies At Wellston Sunday Evening After an illness covering several years due to paralysis, T. J. Morgan, one of the prominent coal operators of the county, passed to his reward at his palatial home in Wellston. He had been confined to the house for 3 years but was cheerful and hopeful throughout. In early life he taught school and later engaged in the coal business and made a phenomenal success and amassed a splendid fortune. The deceased was a splendid type of the self-made man and model in all respects. He was aged about 63 years and leaves a wife and one daughter, Mrs. John Wright. The funeral will take place today, Wednesday at 2 p.m. and will be in charge of Jackson Commandery K. T." Wednesday, November 17, 1909 Jackson Herald

Soldiers Monument about 1907, Wellston, Ohio 

Note L. G. Long store on the right about 1908

Lincoln Hotel in the Leech building in Wellston, OH
Rogan Hotel c. 1920s, Wellston,, Ohio. Rogan Hotel was originally named the Bundy House

G. B. Woodrow Hay and Feed  

Hoy Hospital located at intersection of Pennsylvania Ave. and 2nd Street.
The following information was taken from a Wellston newspaper: The Hoy Hospital was established in 1896 and was the first hospital in southern Ohio that had a regular staff of physicians. The hospital catered to the coal miners in the area. Every month they paid into a fund that was established specifically for hospital care. Membership in the fund entitled miners to room and board in the hospital if they became sick or were in accident. The hospital was best known because it had all the modern conveniences of the time such as electric lights, hot and cold water, an elevator to transport patients to the upper floors (where most of the surgeries and medical procedures took place) and the best beds in the state. I am unsure when it closed down but Dr. Hoy died around 1924 while in Columbus, most likely visiting his son who was a surgeon there. In later years the building housed the dental office of Dr. John Butler and optometrist Dr. Raymond Grady. The Waugh Insurance Co. was also located there for many years and the upper floors were used as apartments. Today there is a boutique store there and I believe that the upper floors are still being utilized as apartments.
Information via Larry Patrick

Dr. Rogers in front of office C 1910 

W. M. Whitmore & C0mpany

T. J. Morgan Home, Wellston, OH 

T. J. Morgan, retains fame largely on the basis of his splendid mansion completed in 1905. Stipulations put into the building's deed by his daughter state that neither dancing be held in the third floor ballroom nor any type of alcoholic drinks served or kept in the building. Since 1940, the one- time home has served as the Wellston city hall.

T. J. Morgan in 1901 became the first president of the Raleigh Coal & Coke Company in Raleigh, in that year the coal company arranged a lease for 10,000 acres of land in Raleigh Co., WV and in the same year began operation.

 T. J. Morgan House

photo by Tyrone Hemry 22 Nov 2010 

Wellston Broadway Street looking east  

Wellston Fire Station and Central School on First Street

I am told this is actually a view is on 2nd Street

Opera House on First Street

Wellston Post Office  

1940s Wellston, Ohio Post Office  

Downtown Wellston, Ohio in Jackson Co. as it appeared in 1900.

Clutts Building fire January 18, 1923 destroyed $165,000 worth of property , including the clock that had cost $1,500, the Wellston Hardware Co., the Elks clubroom, offices of E.H. Willis, Harry B. Reese, J.H. Brown, and the T.D. Clutts Coal Co..

Rogan Hotel, Wellston, Ohio.

Wellston Ladies Concert Band

Wellston's Floradora Band

Wellston First street looking west with Fire Department on the right about 1910

​I am told this is actually a view is on 2nd Street



A Fifty-Thousand Dollar Fire in the Heart of the Metropolis


Wellston, Ohio, is in wailing. Friday morning last at 8 o'clock a fire originated from a defective flue and before it could be arrested burned up something like $50,000 worth of property. The Bank, Atkinsons big store, Carraci's Hotel, Harrison & McGee Drug Store, Greenburg's store, saloons, residences and shops for the length of a square were entirely consumed. Much of the loss is covered by insurance.

10 March 1891 Waverly Courier

Wellston, Ohio Yester Years 

pictures and information

Edward McKinniss delivering milk in Wellston in 1902

  Susan Hayth Tripp photo collection.

Jackson County last Civil War veteran

Wellston tough town back in 1916

Broadway, looking east about 1907

View of Wellston, Ohio from top of a blast furnace

Raymond Booth collection

Soldiers Monument about 1907, Wellston, Ohio

Elks Hall and The Melvin Tilley Hardware

Clutts Building  

Wellston street car

Wellston Colliery Company-Wellston District-Wellston, Ohio

Dr. Raymond Boothe Collection

Train conductor at Wellston, Ohio The lady peering out the window has a nice hat.

A Gem Bottling company vintage empty bottle from Wellston, OH

 Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
Former City Hall, Wellston, Ohio

Rogan Hotel Building

photo by Tyrone Hemry July 2012

A 1910 view of First Street at Wellston. The arc street lamps were frequently seen from 1905-1910. 

Roger Emmert collection

Wellston Broadway street looking west showing Government Square

photo by Tyrone Hemry November 2010

Cannon before it was located at the opposite end of Monument Square

Horse-drawn delivery wagon for the Ziegler Bros. Steam Laundry at Wellston 1911  

Mark Howell collection

Rogan Hotel Building

photo by Tyrone Hemry 22 Nov 2010

Original Telegram Building

The Telegram was started by Benjamin Griffith in Coalton in the 1880s and was known as The Coalton Times. H. V. Speelman and Frank Smallwood purchased the paper and moved it to Wellston and it became The Wellston Republican. In 1893 Speelman and Smallwood sold the paper to Mrs. E. E. Burton and her son Elmer G. Hull, who changed the name to The Wellston Telegram. Hall became editor and business manager until 1898 when the paper was then sold to the family of John Sylvester, then a student of journalism at The Ohio State University. The Sylvesters owned the paper until 1964 when Larry Townsend took over. In 1972, G. B. "Bernard" McKinniss took over and owned it until January 1981. Stephen P. Keller then owned it for the next 24 years. In the mid-1990s the named was changed to The Telegram, reflecting a very solid two county circulation. Alan Stockmeister became the 8th owner when he purchased the newspaper in January 2005.